Long wait made Awana tougher

Kolkata: It took a broken bat for Parvinder Awana to realise that he has been selected in the Indian team for the fourth Test against England and the T20 series that follows it.

Speaking to MAIL TODAY at the end of second day’s play between Delhi and Karnataka, Awana said that it was during his knock of 74 that he realised that he had been picked for the national team.

“I was batting on 42 when my bat broke and I asked for a new bat. Milind Kumar came in to give me a new bat and that is when he informed me that I had been picked. Obviously I was on top of the world, but I also knew I should score as many runs as I can because Delhi needed a good first innings lead,” he said.
It might have taken five long years and 136 first-class wickets to break into the national side, but the Noida lad treasures every minute he has waited to hear the news of his selection into Team India.

He feels that the wait has only made the achievement more cherishable.

“Every cricketer waits for this moment when he starts playing. But sometimes when you have to work that much harder and wait a little longer than some of your companions, you start realising the value of that goal deep within you and so when you achieve that, it becomes so much more special,” he said.

“Yes, obviously it is disappointing when you know that you are in the scheme of things and yet you are failing to take that last stride, but then you can only use it as a motivation and push that extra bit harder.”

Awana feels that his family and friends have been a constant support in his endeavour to play the game he has always loved and even during tough times.

“After the highs of winning the pace bowlers’ talent hunt in 2004, I had a lot of well-wishers. But when I got injured, people started maintaining distance thinking that I was finished. But that is when my family and friends stood by me,” he said.

No comments: