Kumble joins Mumbai Indians as chief mentor



Anil Kumble has ended his stint as the chief mentor of Royal Challengers Bangalore. He will be joining Mumbai Indians, replacing the team's mentor Shaun Pollock whose contract has come to an end. 

The veteran leg-spinner who had led RCB to the IPL final in 2009 said he parts with the Challengers on good terms. 

Kumble, who holds the record of being the highest wicket-taker for India in Tests, said in a media statement issued by the Reliance Group-owned Mumbai Indians: “In my discussion with Reliance Group Management, I find that they have a great and compelling vision for sports in this country, which aligns with my venture Tenvic Sports' aspirations in making sports as the main catalyst of youth development.”

”Mumbai Indians is a very competitive team in the IPL with high-profile players and committed owners. It’s my honour to join the Mumbai Indians as chief mentor and to align our joint interest in making sports as an important agenda in youth development. I look forward to the new assignment,” Kumble added.


Kumble said of his association with Bangalore: “I recollect with fondness my interaction with the team members, administrative and coaching staff of RCB. Finally, my wholehearted gratitude to the fans of RCB whose infectious passion and energy was a significant component of whatever success we had as a team. It is only a calling for a greater challenge and potential for national impact that justified my separation from the RCB fans.”

Mallya, the RCB team owner, said, “Anil has been a great asset to RCB as captain, chief mentor and advisor. He has helped shape the entire team and was instrumental in creating a unique sense of passion and commitment. Given Anil’s vision for developing young talent and excellence in various sporting activities, I appreciate his decision to move on particularly since he has identified a strong partner to execute this long-term vision.”

No comments: